Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Real versus Fake in Nerdery and Geekiness


So recently in the Geek/Nerd community the idea of fake or poseur nerds or geeks has made it to the forefront.  Part of this is something I discussed in Rant-O-Rama.  This is the whole fake geek girl controversy.    The problem is who are you or I to judge who is geeky or nerdy.  It is true when something becomes mainstream there are those who jump on the bandwagon, for coolness factor.  They exist in any sub-culture.  It is something that the geek and nerd culture is not used to.  The problem is some of the people being accused of being poseurs are judged based on gender.  The other thing is there is always something that everyone is geeky or nerdy about.  So is it really one’s business to guess who is or isn't geeky or nerdy. 

Let’s go back to the sexism masquerading as fake geek girl controversy.  We have many generations of geeky guys who feel uncomfortable or were ridiculed by females.  So they now feel threatened by the increased female attendance to their beloved functions.  This misogyny is unacceptable.  I have seen them give a guy a pass wearing a superhero shirt, but grill a lady wearing one.  They will ask her twenty questions about the character in questions.  Funny thing is I know Female geeks who are old enough to be these guys’ mothers.  I know women who were into comics in the early eighties.  So geek girls are nothing new, it is they just are feeling more comfortable socializing with us male geeks.

Guys stop this no girls allowed mentality.  Just accept them on face value.  I know some of you guys do not know how to interact with ladies.  That is your problem; please do not make it theirs.  Guys you need to behave and shower more than once a week.  Another thing is just because a girl dresses provocatively that does not give you the right to leer at them or molest them.  Just treat them they way you would want to be treated.  Now I myself have made social faux pas with ladies.  I have dusted myself off and tried not to repeat those mistakes.  That is all one can do.

The idea that cosplayers are poseurs is garbage.  I know some cosplayers and I know a group of Pirate re-enactors/ performers.  They are hardcore, the time and money they put into their wardrobe and props is immense.  The dedication to getting it right is so nerdy and geeky on too many levels.  Many Cosplayers fabricate costumes themselves.  I know of a group here in Portland, Oregon that cosplays as Superpowered characters; one caveat for that group they have to be original ideas.  No characters from Pop culture allowed.  Can one cosplay using a store bought costume?  Sure, your amount of dedication is up to you.  The ones that make their own costumes however are hardcore geeks and nerds.

The poseur problem is easy; these people won’t be here in a year or two when a new fad, fashion, or trend shows up.  Be nice, do not judge.  Funny thing is they may become one of us.  They may like our community or passions.  Do not discourage them, encourage them.  They could be a geek or nerd in the closet or have not discovered that geek or nerd button.  That is that one thing that makes all people geek out one way or another.  That button is different to everyone, but everyone has one.  It could be Comics, movies, music, TV, fashion, toys, sports or whatever.  It is out there.  That Is My Not So Humble Opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about "black framed hipster glasses." I've worn these same glasses since 2000 because they're the only ones that don't look hideous on me, and now it's a "thing," and it sort of irritated me because now it seems like I'm all part of the hipster bandwagon. But like you said, it a year or so, the fad will be gone, and my glasses will once again be painfully out of style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing with me. Twice have woolen Newsboy hats come back in style after I started wearing them in 1987 after ska went out of style.

    ReplyDelete