Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Children's Ward Terror

{Author's Note: I decided to present a poem from my University days.  This piece I consider my best in poetry.  Mind you, I have only written a handful over the years.  Essays and prose are my preferred formats.  This poem is also about my being 3 to 6 in hospitals.  I spent a good deal of time in them back then.  I hope folks enjoy this}


Those days I remember
They were alright,
With the scent of antiseptic
And baby formula flooding the air.

I had been there before,
My Doctor understood
How I felt.
The playroom was not enough
I had to run,
Go fast as possible
On my two feet.
I could not stay in one place.
The grown-ups did not like it,
My running in the hallways
Or having fun.

When I ran the halls alone
I was the one who counted.
I would race anyone,
It did not matter
If they were on foot
Or in a wheelchair.
It was just those of us,
Those who had the same need.
The Nurses scolded us.
They told us,
“You will wake the babies.”
We did not care about the babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment